1. Dick O'Connor lives in Portland, Oregon and is current Treasurer of the NWDA board.
Photo: Courtesy Oregon Building Congress.
2. Olympia, Washington board member, Koro Kaisan Miles.
Photo: Courtesy R.L. Miles.
3. New board member, Jeff Kerr of Portland, joins the team. Shown here with fellow board member, Caterina De Re.
Photo: Courtesy Caterina De Re.
4. NWDA Secretary, Bill Hirsch (left), of Issaquah, Washington, with Ven. Fa Thai at 2009 Annual Meeting.
Photo: Caterina De Re.
5. NWDA President, Julie Welch, with goose egg--representing the Association's assets.
Photo: Courtesy of Julie Welch.
The Northwest Dharma Association’s new board cycle begins each year in June with a face-to-face meeting at Bodhi House in Olympia, Washington. This is an opportunity for our somewhat far-flung board of directors to get acquainted and connect in person since most of our other board meetings are conducted by phone.
Half of the NWDA twelve-member board is composed of directors elected by members of the Association. The other half, plus any vacancies that arise, are appointed by sitting members of the board.
In this year’s election, the current Treasurer of the board, Dick O’Connor, and board veteran, Richard Koro Kaisan Miles, were re-elected to 3-year terms. Current Secretary of the board, Bill Hirsch, and newcomer, Jeff Kerr, were appointed to 3-year terms. Julie Welch, President, re-enlisted for a one-year term.
Newcomer Jeff Kerr lives in Portland and is active with the Portland Insight Meditation Community, as well as other sanghas. Among his many interests are men’s health support, prison Dharma, and environmental activism. He is a very welcome addition to the board!
Because the Northwest Dharma Association is almost entirely a volunteer operation, the NWDA board is very much a hands-on, working board. We’re grateful and proud that veteran board members continue to serve and that new faces continue to appear. Without the dedication and generosity of its board members, NWDA could not accomplish what it does.